Latvia - Cybersecurity Strategy 2019-2022
The Cybersecurity Strategy of Latvia for 2019-2022 maps the state-of-play of Latvia's current cybersecurity context, identifies and anticipates potential future challenges and defines national cybersecurity policy priorities. Actions planned within the Strategy's framework focus strongly on developing advanced digital and cyber skills for experts in the information and communications technology (ICT) sector, as well as wider society.
Cybersecurity policy on a national level aims to strengthen and improve the cybersecurity capabilities of the public and private sector by boosting resilience against cyber-attacks and enhancing public awareness of existing online threats. To achieve these objectives, the policy document proposes actions in 5 key areas: enhanced cybersecurity and manageable digital security risks, improved resilience of ICT systems, and facilitated and universal access to strategic ICT systems and services. With this approach, Latvia also aims to enhance public awareness, support education and research, and promote international cooperation and the rule of law in cyber space and cyber-crime prevention.
Tasks and priorities for digital skills' development
- Support and initiate research in cybersecurity area and involve a variety of stakeholders, representative of Latvian society and economy, including education, academic and private research, and education institutions and partnerships.
- Support the development of cybersecurity and data protection skills for educators and students at all levels.
- Strengthen public awareness of safe usage of the Internet through the development of educational and informative materials for various age groups, with recommendations on safety measures and tips to remember in an online environment.
- Provide more advanced and in-depth education for specific target groups on cybersecurity issues.
- Upskill the digital competences of the public sector and government institution employees and promote good practices in using ICT safely.
- Support the development of internet skills for children and youth in a safe and trusted environment.
- Enhancing participation of public and private stakeholders in Latvia in EU and international projects, calls, and activities.
The full text of the Strategy is available in Latvian.
The strategy's implementation will be financed by Latvia state budget as well as EU funds and programmes.
The Strategy's implementation involves cooperation and engagement between public and private sector actors.