Slovenia - Development Strategy for the Information Society 2020
The Slovenian Development Strategy for the Information Society was launched in 2016 with the aim of supporting the development of a more digital society and improving access to opportunities created by developments in the information and communication technology (ICT) sector.
The Digital Slovenia strategy aims to enhance the digitalisation of society, and improve access to opportunities offered by developments in information and communication technology (ICT). Other objectives include: measures aimed at harnessing the social and economic potential of ICT and the internet for digital growth, strengthening digital infrastructure, reinforcing cyber security principles and mechanisms, and providing inclusive digital information to all citizens. and an inclusive information society. Through these actions, the Strategy positions Slovenia as a central reference hub for innovative approaches in digital and speed up digitalisation.
Priorities and activities on digital skills
- Raising awareness of the importance of the ICT sector and its potential for societal and business impact and promote the safe and responsible use of internet in education.
- Enhancing the development of the Slovenian digital society through sustainable and focused investments.
- Promoting digital inclusion and access to technology for all, including high-speed access and open internet.
- Improving access to (and information about) financial resources, funding for small and medium sized enterprises and individuals and foster a rich knowledge base and an entrepreneurial culture.
- Build partnerships and networks between the public and private sector members, including enterprises, industry, researchers and academics.
Digital skills in ICT
Another focus of the Slovenian Strategy is enhancing the competitiveness of the Slovenian ICT industry and supporting the development of skills for emerging technologies and innovative solutions: digital entrepreneurships, Industry 4.0, smart cities, and the Internet of Things (IoT). Initiatives launched in this context aim to increase the number of ICT professionals in Slovenia and modernise legislative and regulatory frameworks to incorporate digital technology in education, teaching and learning.
The Development Strategy was adopted together with two complementing actions, the national Cyber Security Strategy and national Plan for Developing Next-Generation Networks by 2020. The Strategy determines key strategic objectives in relation to economic and societal development and links the three strategies into a consolidated framework.
The Strategy is financed via the national budget, government agencies and public stakeholders, and co-financed by the European Union funds.
Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Infrastructure, Ministry of Education, Science, and Sport, Ministry of Public Administration, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food, Ministry of the Interior, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Government Office of the Republic of Slovenia for Development and
European Cohesion Policy.