Romania - Strategic initiative for Digitization of Education SMART-Edu 2021-2027
The Strategic Initiative for Digitization of Education in Romania SMART-Edu 2021-2027 was developed and went into the public consultation stage in 2020. The aim is to reduce digital gaps and increase socio-economic inclusion, by increasing digital skills and internet use among the general population and disadvantaged groups and by organizing training sessions adapted to the needs of each community. The implementation of the Strategic initiative is coordinated by the Ministry of Education and Research.
The strategy focuses on the following pillars:
- The development of digital skills at all levels of cross-curricular education, through specialized subjects, through formal and non-formal activities.
- Supporting the initial and continuous digital training of teaching staff.
- Improving the digital infrastructure to reduce connectivity gaps (connecting to the Internet, creating internal networks, providing equipment, providing technical support).
- Stimulating educational units and institutions for educational offers with specializations and digital qualifications suitable for the jobs of the future.
- Creating digital educational tools, encouraging innovation to adapt creative, interactive, student-centered educational solutions.
- Creating attractive Open Educational Resources.
- Developing and multiplying public-private partnerships by participating in digital networks, including with European and international bodies.
- Exchange of best practices on local, national e-learning educational platforms, respectively on international platforms (SELFIE, e-Twinning, s.a.).
- Encouraging and promoting initiatives on online safety, data protection, cyber hygiene, IT ethics.
- Developing the strategic foresight framework for the green economy and adapting to the jobs of the future.
The goals that the strategic initiative proposes are the following:
- 90% of the Romanian population to be digitally literate;
- the training of 82% of the population between the ages of 20 and 34 for emerging jobs, in order to successfully enter the labor market;
- equipping all educational units in Romania with infrastructure and technological resources adapted to permanent changes.
Digital education is a key goal for quality, accessible and inclusive assessment of teaching and learning, as well as the need for a strategic approach to digital skills acquisition at all levels of education
Stakeholders from public and private sector, NVO, industry and academia are involved in implementation of the Strategic initiative.