Senior Citizens Online Days Lithuania
Since 2018, Lithuania has organised a national Senior Citizens Online Days initiative to attract and encourage Lithuanian senior citizens to use smart technologies and e-services, critically assess information online and improve their digital skills.
Senior Citizens Online Days is an initiative promoted by the association Langas į ateitį that was organised in 2019-2020 in the framework of the Connected Lithuania project.
Each year, experts from various disciplines and well-known public figures shared knowledge and experience on the benefits of using internet and technology in a a variety of seminars and activities. Municipal public libraries played also a crucial role to invite senior citizens to join and participate in this initiative. Even during the pandemic, where possible, participants were invited to follow the broadcasts in the nearest library, while others were able to self-connect at home with their personal smart devices. After the broadcasts, participants were able to translate their knowledge into a variety of tasks in practice.
In 2020, 383 libraries participated with about 4336 participants, while 7485 more followed the events online with their personal devices.
Both in 2019 and 2020, several online events were organised, on a variety of topics. During the Senior Citizens Online Days 2020, activities and resources focused on eHealth (how to use your smart device to maintain your well-being), eLeisure, eService (how better use eBanking services or other online public services), security on the internet and even some tips for eGardening! As for the Senior Citizens Online Days 2019, the topic of the events ranged from how to better use ePrescription, to tips on how to use technology to better plan travels, how to use trustfully eBanking and payment apps, as well as the use of social media.
In addition to the broadcasts, seniors were provided with a variety of educational activities and methodological material, also available online as self-paced contents.
- Brain exercise - A practical exercise that helps to apply the information learned during the webcast Technology vitamins.
- Self-guidance - A practical exercise that invites users to travel in Lithuania smartly and helps them to carry out travel planning online, as a result of the broadcast Guide yourself.
- Situation test - A practical exercise that helps participants to train for concentration and reflection in specific situations.
- Truth or lie - Another practical task to support in understanding social media, linked to the event on Communication fashion.
- Smart gardeners' battles - A practical exercise that helps participants to find information online about horticulture and cultivation, as presented in the online event SmartGarden.
Finally, in 2021, the events started to be organised by libraries and communities directly, without the centralized coordination, with a good example of sustainability.