Ethics is becoming more and more of an essential concept when we talk about AI as its own field. With the development and advance of automation and AI, we see that new challenges - related to regulation, privacy, and bias emerge. So how can we ensure that the applications we build reflect our core ethical, social and cultural values?
This online course zooms in precisely on these issues. Never dealt with AI before? No problem. 'Ethics of Artificial Intelligence' by Italy's largest scientific and technology university institute, was created by experts in the field for absolute beginners. The course is self-paced (meaning you can take it at the time that suits you best!), and it can be completed in under 4 hours.
What topics will you cover?
Dig deeper into the challenges that emerge when AI is applied throughout various industry sectors and reflect on the issues brought forward by scientists, AI experts, but also policymakers, social organisations and people. Topics include:
- Ethics of autonomous vehicles: who is liable when we look at self-driving cars? Whose fault is it should the vehicle malfunction?
- Autonomous weapons and the digitalisation of conflicts: explore how AI is used in the context of defence;
- Digital medicine, cybersecurity and AI;
- The value of privacy in information society;
- The influence of human decisions and biases in AI;
- Sustainability and environmental impact;
- AI governance and AI policy: from first draft to implementation.
The course achieves this by looking at various case studies and relevant examples of AI application, in light of the main ethical frameworks we know today.
By the end of this course, you will be able to talk confidently about the reasons to perform ethical analysis when working with AI and identify the ethical and social implications of the technology across sectors. You will improve your critical skills and apply them to analyse AI applications' benefit and anticipate potential bottlenecks and challenges. Finally, you will be able to discuss current policies and strategies in AI and apply the social and ethical principles outlined in the course within your professional context.